Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Is The Nürburgring In Danger?

I read an article on Jalopnik (see article) which expresses concern over the financial despair of Nürburgring. Apparently the track was in public ownership up until a few years ago, but the two guys that were recently hired to upgrade the grounds are in WAY over their heads.The upgrade includes a roller coaster, a hotel that is too large, and a shopping mall that remains empty most of the time.


To complete the project, they apparently falsely claimed that they had private financiers who would be investing.  Also, wikileaks apparently blew the lid off the claim that the Nürburgring attracted more than two-million spectators/visitors per year. The actual statistics were less than half.

I'm a little skeptical of some of the info in the article, because I don't understand how the Nürburgring could be in need of money with all the manufacturers who rent it out, and the government grants that it receives. However, this information is apparently privileged and to prove their intentions of secrecy, Nürburgring lawyers sent a warning letter to Wilhelm Hahne (and also had his house searched) after he released some of this information. For those who don't know who Wilhelm Hahne is, he races the track frequently.

It would be horrible if the financial burden comes down on the pockets of the enthusiasts. I wish to visit the Nürburgring some day without having to sell both of my testicles. Have any of you ever been?

17 comments:

  1. k wait... your telling me this race track is suppose to have a roller coaster, mall and a hotel. thats unheard of. whatever happend to going to the track, getting drunk and watching cars crash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been, but would love the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go, but I would also like to keep my testicles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nurburgring sounds like something you do with a prostitute, a midget, and a pack of hotdogs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure the taxpayer will end up paying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ya well, either way money talks. regardeless if its needed, i bet theyll make enthusiasts pay. Thats how things work these days :)

    Step 1. Everyone gets their money but you
    Step 2. They dont offer any lube
    Step 3. They expect you to take it up the ass and like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never been but it'd be neat. Its a shame to find out about the financial uncertainty.

    Also, 200 followers, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even Nascar in the states is suffering. They are offering big discounts to Daytona in February, unfortunately, I'll be out of state by then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a rollercoaster... that's over the top, you said it mate, and nah, i've never been sounds like it would be fun though, with all these upgrades hahah

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't understand how nascar and car racing in general has increased in popularity, and yet they all seem to be hurting for money.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't get it either. I will just chalk it up to being more blood on wikileak's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never been there. But I hope to go there one day because I'll like to help them out. But they need to study some marketing strategies to help their business up :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope they figure it out and upgrade Nurburging as desired.

    ReplyDelete